Here's the full recipe we featured in Episode 6: Potatoes...
Equipment: large sheet pan, meat mallet/tenderizer
- 1 lb small potatoes (such as fingerling, new, or red)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- salt / pepper
Serves 4 people as a side dish.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash your potatoes and dry them well before laying them out on a sheet pan.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, and using your hands, massage the oil to coat the outsides of all the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, until they are soft enough to smash.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and either transfer the potatoes to a cool pan or carefully hold the cooking pan with one gloved hand while smashing the potatoes with the flat side of a meat mallet. The idea is to smush out the insides a bit to get "frayed edges" that will crisp when returned to the oven. This may take 2 or 3 careful whacks. Try not to smash the potatoes so hard that they break apart.
- Return potatoes to the oven to cook another 20-25 minutes longer, or until fork-tender and golden on the outside.